Your favorite (and only) little sister here. I'm in Kiev, Ukraine right now with my friend, Annie. I didn't want to come at first, since we had to ride the train for a really long time to get here, but here I am: at the National Art Museum of Ukraine. It's a museum with a lot of history. Founded in 1936, then soon split into two (a history section and an arts section; this is the latter, obviously), renamed Kyiv Museum of Ukrainian Art in 1953, reached the level of a 'national museum', renamed again in 1994 to what it's called today, and finally, the exhibition area was doubled in 1972. Interesting, right?
It's split into three sections: old Ukrainian art, 19th and early 20th century Ukrainian art, and 20th century Ukrainian art, and is still like this today. The painting on this postcard is called Kyiv Museum of Ukrainian Art (the name this museum had in 1953) and it's by Ivan Izhakevych, a popular artist in Ukraine who studied art from three different schools. You don't care much for art, but I'm sure you would've liked to visit this museum with us. Well, probably.
From Kelly (and Annie)
| Kyiv State Museum of Ukrainian Art image source: encyclopediaofukraine.com |
Who built it and why was it built?
回覆刪除The building was originally built as a museum for the patrons of arts and antique lovers, and was sponsored by the government of Russian Empire and the Tereshchenko family (who had also created another museum in Kiev).
刪除